Years ago, I believed, like so many other people, that bottled water was safer to drink than tap water. Now I carry my stainless steel water bottle everywhere. Why? Here are a few reasons why I stopped drinking bottled water.
1) It takes 47 million gallons of oil per year to produce water bottles and more to have them shipped around the world.
2) The US alone buys more than half a billion water bottles a week.
3) In California 3 million water bottles are thrown away daily.
4) Bottled water is responsible for 1.5 million tons of plastic waste per year.
5) In 2010, Americans spent 11 billion dollars on water bottles and world wide between 50-100 billion, a product we all can get for free out of our faucet.
6) 1/3 of all bottled water is filtered tap water, including companies like Pepsi's Aquafina and Cocoa-Cola's Dasani.
7) Tap water is regulated more than bottled water. More than 70% of bottled water is never inspected.
8) Over 80% of bottled water is not recycled and stays in our land fills for hundreds of years or polluting our oceans.
Please take the time to watch a short 9 minute film, The Story of Bottled Water. To view click here.