Thursday, August 1, 2013

Benefits of homemade laundry detergent





  I first started making my own laundry detergent in order to eliminate plastic waste and because it is a huge cost saver; 7 cents a load compared to store bought brands that are 25 cents a load. While researching other topics, I stumbled across documentaries that expressed concerns regarding how toxic laundry detergents are for humans and to the environment. The run off from treatment plants reek havoc on our lakes and rivers. Consequently, I began doing research on the ingredients in the detergent in my home. I was horrified at what I read. 

  Most detergents contain harmful toxins. These chemicals can cause cancer, lung damage, mucous membrane damage, kidney damage, reproductive system failure, endocrine and damage to the immune system. If you are using store bought deterent, take the time to research the ingredients to ensure it is safe. Find out what is in those 'fragrances' and what you are really smelling when you breath in those different fresh scents. Your body absorbs all chemicals that are on your clothes. Knowledge of what you are putting into your body is key. My oldest son, Aaron, has asthma and allergies. In the past, he consistently got nosebleeds. Once I started making my own laundry detergent and household cleaners, his nosebleeds have been few and far apart. 

  Making your own laundry detergent is simple, quick, cheap, safer for the environment and for your family. There are hundreds of different recipes on the internet. Below is the one that I use. 


1 cup of Washing Soda
1 cup of Borax
1 bar (use a cheese grater or blender until soap is fine) of Dr. Bronner's Castile/ Kirk's Castile/ Ivory or other natural unscented bar soap. 
Use 2 tablespoons for full load
* I prefer Castile soap because it contains vegetable oil instead of animal fat. Pure Castile is also ecological and toxic free.

No comments:

Post a Comment